Preschool-Wide Evaluation Tool™ (PreSET™) Manual, Research Edition
Assessing Universal Program-Wide Positive Behavior Support in Early Childhood
|| 8.5 x 11.0
View our recorded webinar: Using the PreSET™ to Measure, Monitor, and Achieve Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports in Early Childhood Settings presented by Elizabeth Steed and Tina Pomerleau.
How well is your early childhood program implementing positive behavior intervention and supports (PBIS)? Now there's a comprehensive tool that helps programs find out how well their interventions are working—and what areas they need to work on to improve children's social-emotional skills and behavior.
Based on the widely used and highly regarded School-wide Evaluation Tool (SET), PreSET™ assesses program-wide PBIS in all types of early childhood settings. Conducted twice a year by an unbiased outside observer—such as a behavior consultant, inclusion coordinator, or school psychologist—PreSET™ takes an accurate snapshot of a program's PBIS through a review of program documents, classroom observations and interviews with the administrator, teachers, and three children from each classroom.
PreSET™ will help programs
- Take first steps toward improving kindergarten readiness. Only 40% of preschool children have the social-emotional skills they need for kindergarten. With the results of PreSET™, programs will know what they need to work on to better support these critical skills.
- Assess universal features of effective PBIS. PreSET™ assesses classroom and program-wide PBIS variables across 8 key categories, including behavioral expectations, family involvement and program support.
- Measure progress toward goals. PreSET™ generates a simple percentage of how well a program is implementing PBIS, so programs can see at a glance how they're progressing.
- Report better outcomes to OSEP. PreSET™ helps programs determine how well they're addressing social-emotional skills and behavior, so they can work on trouble spots and report improved outcomes to OSEP.
- Target quality improvement efforts. With the included Action Plan form, programs can easily develop a plan to strengthen behavior interventions.
- Determine professional development needs. What do teachers need to learn to better support children's social-emotional development? PreSET™ results highlight which areas should be targeted for future professional development.
The complete PreSET™ consists of this Manual and a CD-ROM. The Manual gives users thorough guidance on conducting and scoring PreSET™, a technical appendix of PreSET™ research, and a case study that walks the reader through an entire evaluation. The CD-ROM includes all the printable forms: the four PreSET™ forms (Administrator Interview Guide, Classroom Interview and Observation, Classroom Summary, and Scoring Guide), plus two forms for planning next steps (an Action Plan and Sample Feedback Form).
With this comprehensive tool, early childhood programs will have the data they need to determine whether PBIS is working, target interventions and program improvements, and work toward better social-emotional development for all young children. Learn more about the entire PreSET™ system.
See how this product helps strengthen Head Start program quality and school readiness.
Review: Book News
Review by: Howard Muscott, Director, New Hampshire Center for Effective Behavioral Intervention and Supports
"An excellent resource for early childhood programs who want to improve behavior support for all their students. Steed, Pomerleau and Horner have given the field a practical, yet powerful way to assess and improve evidence-based program-wide and classroom practices."
Review by: Barbara Kaiser, Co-author of Challenging Behavior in Young Children: Understanding, Preventing and Responding Effectively 3rd Ed.
"Uses clear language and provides the tools needed to effectively evaluate a program's use of preschool-wide positive behavior support."
Review by: Sara Whitcomb, University of Massachusetts Amherst
"An incredibly valuable tool for early childhood professionals seeking to systematically, skillfully, and efficiently promote positive behavior in early childhood settings."
Review by: Andy Frey, Associate Professor, Kent School of Social Work, University of Louisville
"This is a must have for consultants committed to promotion of social emotional well-being and primary prevention."
About the Authors
- Introduction to the Preschool-Wide Evaluation Tool
Puropse of PreSET
Potential Users of PreSET
Administration of PreSET
Research of PreSET
For further Information
- Overview of Program-Wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Support
Purpose of Program-Wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Support
Children with Challenging Behavior
Key Features of PW-PBIS
- Preparing for and Conducting the PreSET
Features of the PreSET
Overview of PreSET Administration
Establishing Reliability with the PreSET
PreSET Administration and Program Size
Contacting the Program
What Administrators, Teachers, and Children Can Expect from the PreSET
Scheduling the PreSET
- Collecting the Information
PreSET Administrator Interview Form
PreSET Classroom Interview and Observation Form
PreSET Classroom Summary Form
PreSET Scoring Guide
- Scoring the PreSET
- Interpreting and Sharing PreSET Results
Interpreting the Results
Sharing the Results with Programs
Example of How to Share PreSET Results
Linking PreSET Results to PW-PBIS Improvement
Appendix A: Case Study: The Busy Bee Preschool
Appendix B: Frequently Asked Questions
Appendix C: Technical Appendix